Artscape 2023: Performing Arts Application
Artscape – America's largest free arts festival – returns September 22-24, 2023.
Artscape is back! The Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts is excited to announce the return of Artscape for its 38th year, after a three-year hiatus! The beloved Baltimore arts festival is where art lovers, families, and tourists come together to celebrate art, culture, and performance! Artscape is proud to showcase artists and makers, live concerts, visual arts experiences, performing arts, fashion designers, kid-focused activities, film, experimental music, improv and comedy, literary arts programming and culinary delights. We encourage artists and festival goers to embrace Artscape for what it is – a fully accessible, 100% FREE, world-class arts festival – right here in the heart of Baltimore City. Everyone’s invited to Artscape, let's celebrate the arts in Baltimore together!
Artscape is AMERICA’S LARGEST FREE outdoor arts festival, rocking the cultural heart of Baltimore since 1982. The festival was designed as an Arts Fair that marketed Baltimore as a cultural hub, generated local community support for the arts, and stimulated economic development and investment in the Mt. Vernon/Bolton Hill neighborhood. In 2019 (the last time Artscape was held), Artscape featured more than 200 artist performers and over 100 visual artists and artisans.
Our Food program is driven by the bounties of the Chesapeake region. We're looking for food vendors to create a rich Baltimore food experience for festival goers. Out-of-staters please note: we have a commitment to local food with at least 95% of food vendors accepted hailing from the state of Maryland.
ARTSCAPE HOURS OF OPERATION
Artscape takes place rain or shine.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22 5PM - 10PM FESTIVAL OPERATIONS 9PM - 11PM ARTSCAPE AFTERHOURS
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23 11AM - 5PM MAIN STAGE HOURS 11AM - 10PM FESTIVAL OPERATIONS 9PM - 11PM ARTSCAPE AFTERHOURS
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 11AM-5PM FESTIVAL OPERATIONS
Location: Midtown Baltimore and the Station North Arts & Entertainment District
ABOUT PERFORMING ARTS AT ARTSCAPE
The Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts invites performing artists, and performing arts collectives, to propose performing arts pieces to be featured as Artscape. The deadline to submit applications is Friday June 30, 2023.
Please read through the detailed criteria before submitting your proposal.
This application does NOT include performances on festival concert stages. This application is for out-door, pop-up and limited indoor performances only. If you proposal is specifically geared toward children and teens, please apply to KIDSCAPE or TEENSCAPE applications.
Performing artists and performing arts collectives including but not limited to genres in dance, theater, magic, music, fashion, storytelling, and spoken-word poetry will be considered. Pieces should be fresh, creative, family friendly.
Applications are reviewed and selected by the Festivals Programming Coordinator with input from a committee of arts professionals.
Please note: applying does not guarantee acceptance.
- Application should include: performance name, performance type/genre, approximate length of performance, days/times/occurrences of performances, if there will be staging, sound or props, and any other necessary information relevant to the performance.
- A proposed budget should be included in application.
- Performance should actively engage the audience and provide a unique and memorable experience for festival-goers.
- Performance pieces may be already existing pieces of pieces of work.
- All performance pieces are required to be free, open to the public, fully accessible, and operational for the entire festival weekend (including inclement weather, unless a shelter-in-place is put into effect).
- All performance pieces must fulfill required components and performance schedules. Performance schedules are subject to change by festivals programming coordinator and/or festival management only.
- Young children, and patrons with mobility and/or accessibility needs, should be considered when drafting your proposal. Please also consider if any accommodations will need to be made to ensure that the proposal is fully accessible.
- There are no geographic restrictions for applying. However, travel and accommodation costs are not covered by the honorarium.
- Provides an artist honorarium
- Assigns a festival-appointed project coordinator and/or production assistant to serve as your festival-liaison and on-site contact.
- Provides a safe and secure festival and atmosphere.
- Provides an outdoor performance space.
- Marketing and promotional opportunities.
- Fulfills performance schedules.
- Arrives prepared with equipment and supplies necessary to perform
- Compliments BOPA's marketing efforts by promoting performances on their own social networks and/or websites.
- Procured a certificate of insurance, with BOPA and City of Baltimore listed as additionally insured.
- Is responsible for own parking/transportation.
- Has provided BOPA a completed IRS W9 tax form and invoice to receive payment
Event: Artscape General Info Session
Location: Enoch Pratt Free Library, 400 Cathedral St, Baltimore, MD 21201
Questions? Contact Devin Shacklett, Programming Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-752-8632.